Left-over Breakfast Scramble
My favorite!! Easy, tasty and you get to use up your leftovers!
You sauté all of this on the stove and it takes less than 5 minutes.
Since switching to the Paleo Diet, I have been having trouble finding foods to eat for breakfast. Eggs bother my stomach and I am not a huge fan of smoothies. There were not a lot of other options. So, I had been eating whatever I could find in my refrigerator and cupboard each morning that fit my dietary requirements, but it was boring.
My breakfasts were a NON-Event. Eat to live and get it over with! This amounts to a blah and no fun breakfast time every day :(
So here is what I came up with that is satisfying and flavorful:
1. You will need a “Base” food such as eggs, sweet potato or white /yellow potato (if included in your diet), or cauliflower (riced or mashed). I have learned to make extra baked sweet potatoes for this purpose or you can quickly microwave any type of potato (just prick a few times with a fork first)
2. Add in any kind of meat that you have around. I prefer turkey or left-over hamburger but other good suggestions are bacon, ham, kielbasa, steak, or sausage.
3. Add in any veggies that you have left over or frozen in the freezer. I like onion with any of the combinations. If using onion, sauté first for a minute or two in a frying pan with a little butter or olive/avocado oil. Today I used corn that was left over from corn on the cob last night. Mushrooms, peppers, snow peas and broccoli are other favorites.
4. Salt and Pepper to Taste. I also add cayenne pepper for heat and chive or parsley for flavor.
5. Butter or Olive/Avocado Oil
That is it for ingredients!
How to Make the Scramble:
1. Cut up all ingredients into bite-size pieces. Sauté onion in butter or oil, if using onion.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and sauté until slightly browned.
If using egg, add egg last to lightly scramble the egg into the browned mixture.
If using cauliflower (I use frozen), cook according to directions and use it as a base for the rest of the ingredients. Layer the rest of the ingredients over top of cooked cauliflower. Top with cheese, if you like.
If you do not have any left-overs, it is simple to just sauté up frozen or fresh veggies and other ingredients to make a delicious and easy dish.
That’s it! I hope that you like it!