Hello Fellow Warriors!
Today I want to talk diet.
It is a known fact that certain foods can cause inflammation. Since PMR is an inflammatory condition, it makes sense to try and eliminate inflammatory foods from your diet.
This link will explain the anti-inflammatory diet further.
I have found a few easy exchanges that help to keep my meals basically low in these offending foods, which are primarily milk, grains, sugar and certain veggies.
- Milk > almond or coconut milk
- Rice > riced cauliflower- frozen or fresh
- Mashed potatoes > mashed cauliflower- fresh or frozen
- Spaghetti > zucchini noodles- fresh or frozen
- Flour > Coconut or Almond flour
- Sugar > Monkfruit sweetener or a little honey if you can tolerate it (I do a mixture of both for sweetening)
- Wraps > Egg wraps or Cauliflower rounds (I found at Costco and Wegmans/Whole Foods)
- Candy > Fresh fruit (in moderation)
- Granola bars > Paleo bars (found at Costco and most likely at other whole food stores) or can make your own. I will provide a recipe later.
- Bread > cheese and meat wrap or if not using milk products, use lettuce wrap Personally, I put everything that would have been in a sandwich into a salad instead. Effortless switch.
- Soy Sauce (contains wheat and soy) > Coconut Aminos (soy-free alternative) Can be ordered online or found in the natural food section of many grocery stores
- Wine (Yes wine!!) > Sulfite-free, no sugar added, very dry wine such as Chardonnay and Cabernet. I have to order this online as it is not found in my state of Pennsylvania. I order from Frey Vineyards in California.
One glass of wine does not seem to bother me. You may have to experiment to see how it affects you. Finding the lowest sugar content that you can in an alcohol product is the key here.